What to Do if You Are Injured in Texas and the Other Driver Flees

If you were hurt in an accident, and the other driver fled the scene, it can be difficult to know what your next moves should be.  Fortunately, there are often options for recovery, and you may be able to get the damages you need even if you do not know who hit you.

First, you should call 911 and get both a police and ambulance to respond.  The police can make a report of what happened and use any identifying information you have to try to track down the at-fault driver.  The ambulance workers can help you get medical attention and build a record of the damages that you suffered.  Then, call a lawyer to begin your potential car accident case, insurance claims, and even lawsuits.

For a free case review, call The Queenan Law Firm’s Dallas car accident lawyers today at (817) 476-1797.

First Steps After a Hit and Run Accident

If you were involved in a crash and the other driver fled the scene, you should call 911 right away.  This serves three major purposes that are vital to building your case and getting the compensation you deserve.

First, the police offer who responds can write up a report.  Even if the other driver cannot be located, you may be entitled to an insurance claim.  Having a record of the crash and testimony from a police officer that it was indeed a hit and run crash can be important to your case.

Second, the police officer can begin investigating and potentially even find the driver who hit you.  Many times, the police can put out an alert to other officers in the area based on your description of the vehicle that hit you.  If they find a car that is the same type, same color, same make, same model, etc., and it has damage, the police can pull that car over and investigate to see if they were the driver involved in your crash.  If you were able to record the driver’s license plate number – full or partial – then that can also help the police find the driver who hit you.  If they are able to locate the driver, you can file your injury case directly against that driver, and the police can help testify in your case to help prove this was the driver who hit you.

Lastly, the EMTs can get you medical care and start creating a record of the injuries you faced.  Part of your injury case – whether filed as an insurance claim or a lawsuit – will be proving the damages you faced.  Our Texas car accident lawyers can use your medical records to help prove your case and prove your damages.

After these initial steps, you should call our Arlington car accident lawyers to begin filing your case to get compensation.

Getting Compensation for an Accident Where the Driver Fled the Scene

When the other driver leaves the scene of an accident, they are usually committing a crime.  Additionally, their actions can be used to argue in court that they knew they were at fault for the accident and that they knew they would be held responsible if they didn’t run away.  That is all great evidence that can be used against them in a lawsuit if you can discover who they are.  Even if you can’t locate the driver, our Texas car accident lawyers might still be able to help you get compensation.

Filing a Lawsuit

If you are able to locate the driver and file a lawsuit against them, our lawyers can fight to get you full compensation.  Often, drivers flee the scene of an accident because they don’t have insurance.  Whether they have insurance or not, we can file a lawsuit against them for the damages you faced, including lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering.  We may even be able to claim punitive damages to punish them for fleeing.  This can result in high-dollar compensation if you faced serious injuries.

A lawsuit is often a complex legal process, and you should work with one of our Irving car accident lawyers for help meeting deadlines, collecting evidence, building your case, and getting the damages you need through your lawsuit.

Filing an Uninsured Motorist Insurance Claim

If the driver cannot be located, you may still have ways of getting compensation.  Many drivers have “uninsured motorist” insurance that can help cover their injuries if they are involved in a hit and run accident.  In Texas, insurance companies have to offer their customers uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, and you have to reject it in writing if you don’t want it.  This means that many drivers might have this insurance and not know it.

Our Houston car accident lawyers can help you investigate whether you have this insurance or not and file a claim for compensation if you do.

Working with an Attorney

In any case, you should contact a lawyer whether you have located the driver or not.  There may be ways that we can investigate the case and try to locate the driver.  There may also be ways to begin the process of building and filing a car accident lawsuit so that if the driver is discovered later, we can continue the case immediately and fight to get you compensation as quickly as possible.

Keep in mind that you should always have an attorney review any offers from insurance companies before accepting them, as accepting a settlement might block you from claiming additional damages later.

For a Free Case Review, Call Our Texas Hit and Run Accident Attorneys Today

If you were injured in a car accident and the other driver fled the scene, reach out to our Plano car accident lawyers today.  For a free case review, call us at (817) 476-1797.