How to Get a Police Report for a Car Accident in Fort Worth, TX

The Fort Worth Police Department and the government of Texas use official police reports to document the cause and damages of car accidents that occur in the state. Victims can use these reports in their attempts to obtain compensation for their harms.

Depending on where your accident occurred and which police department was responsible for filing it, you can obtain a copy of your report through the mail, online, or in person. If the police were not present at the scene of your accident, you can file the report yourself. Once you receive a copy of your report, go through it for inconsistencies so that you can request that changes be made where necessary.

If dealing with your legal options after a car accident is becoming difficult to balance while recovering from your injuries, add The Queenan Law Firm, P.C. to your team. Our experienced Fort Worth car accident lawyers can get you started with a free initial case review. Call our offices today at (817) 476-1797.

Requesting a Police Report for a Car Accident in Fort Worth

You can obtain a copy of the police report on your car accident in Fort Worth through one of three methods: by going to the department in person, mailing a formal request, or downloading the report online. None of these methods are any more or less legitimate, and your choice will depend on what is most convenient for you.

Go to the Police Department in Person

If you live close to the Fort Worth Police Department, you may find it easiest to simply visit the location to request a copy of your report. The Fort Worth Police Department is located at 1000 Calvert Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76107 and is open Monday to Friday from 7:00 am to 5:00 pm. We recommend that you call ahead and let the department know that you are coming in to cut down on wait time.

Mail in Your Request

You can also request a paper copy of your official crash report from the Texas Department of Transportation through the mail. In your mail, you should include a completed copy of Form CR-91 and a money order or check for the associated fee. Send your request to the address indicated on the form, but don’t send it too soon, as police reports typically only become available about 10 days after the date of the accident.

Use the Online Portal

TxDOT makes every police accident report available through their website, which can be helpful if you don’t know which department was responsible for filing your police report. If the officer that responded to the accident belonged to a different municipality, such as Tarrant or Johnson County, the Fort Worth Police Department may not be able to help you. Go to the state-wide site and follow the prompts to complete your request. The administrative fee for the online portal is $11, as opposed to in-person requests, which are $6.

Who Can Obtain a Police Report for a Car Accident in Fort Worth, TX?

Unlike in other states, Texas does not make police reports for car accidents public record. Therefore, only certain individuals and entities may obtain copies of a specific official police report. The parties that may request a copy are limited to drivers and injury victims of the accident, owners of the vehicles involved, people who suffered property damage, insurance providers and lawyers for these parties, and certain government agencies.

What if the Police Did Not File a Crash Report for Your Car Accident in Fort Worth, TX?

Texas law requires that a report be filed for any car accident that causes death, injury, or over $1,000 in property damage, whether the accident occurred on a public roadway or private property. The best way to get an official car accident report is to call 911 at the scene so that the dispatcher can send a police unit out to do it. However, there are instances where, for whatever reason, the police are not present to compile the information for a police report. In those situations, you do have the ability to file the report with TxDOT yourself.

Accident victims looking to file their own report should fill out Form CR-2 and submit it to TxDOT. You should include all of the following information in your report:

  • Names, license numbers, and insurance information for all drivers
  • Date, time, and place of the accident
  • Description of the accident
  • Any contributing factors to the accident such as weather and road conditions

Reports should be filed within 10 days of the accident. If you need help filing your accident report so that you have a basis for negotiating an insurance settlement or filing a lawsuit, our Dallas car accident lawyers may be able to help.

What if Your Fort Worth Police Car Accident Report is Wrong?

Your accident report will be critical for ensuring your ultimate recovery for your injuries. Therefore, you should take the time to make sure that it is fully accurate. Though rare, it is possible that the officer at the scene did not record important details or made a mistake in their notes. These errors may find their way into the official report. Further, accident reports typically do not get filled out on the same day as the accident, leaving the door open for lapses in memory.

When you get your report, you and your Arlington car accident lawyer should go through it carefully to make sure that all of the important information is included and that nothing is out of place. If you find an error, you and your lawyer can request that changes be made, but your request has a much better chance if you file it soon after you receive the report.

The Queenan Law Firm, P.C. Can Help You with Your Fort Worth Police Accident Report

Don’t leave your recovery to chance. Get all of your questions answered by our Fort Worth personal injury attorneys. For a free initial case review, call The Queenan Law Firm, P.C. at (817) 476-1797.