Dallas Burn Injury Lawyer
Few injuries are more physically and psychologically devastating than severe burns. Whether caused by heat, scalding water, electricity, caustic chemicals, defective products, or other sources, burn injuries are excruciatingly painful to treat and recover from, and in many cases, leave the victim with permanent scars. Burns can also be extraordinarily expensive to treat, due to the large number of skin grafts and corrective surgeries patients sometimes require.
If you or one of your family members was scalded or suffered a burn injury in Dallas, Texas you should speak to an experienced personal injury attorney about the possibility of getting compensated for your medical bills, lost earnings, and other hardships. Texas burn injury lawyers of Queenan Law have over 20 years of experience helping the victims of negligence recover accident compensation.
Common Types of Burn Injuries
Heat and fire are not the only sources of serious burn injuries in Dallas, Texas. There are actually several types of burns, including:
- Chemical Burns – Improper storage, dilution, use, or manufacture of chemical products can lead to painful injuries upon inhalation or skin contact. Causes can include drain cleaners, gasoline, paint thinners, and other common household products.
- Electrical Burns – Electricians and utility workers are at the highest risk, but anyone can sustain electrical burns from contact with sources of electricity, such as old, fraying wires.
- Friction Burns – Friction burns occur when skin rubs or drags rapidly against another surface. For example, it is common for motorcycle accidents to result in friction burns and skin abrasion called “road rash.”
- Laser Burns – Lasers are commonly used to perform cosmetic hair removal procedures. Unfortunately, laser hair removal technicians frequently lack the necessary medical training to safely handle these powerful devices. Misuse of lasers can create painful rows of tiny, circular burns.
- Radiation Burns – These burns are caused by exposure to radiation, which can be emitted from sources like sun lamps, tanning booths, or X-rays.
Burns caused by flame, steam, boiling water, or other heat sources are called thermal burns.
Burns are also divided into categories based on their severity. While first degree burns generally have minimal effects and heal on their own within days, second, third, and fourth degree burns can cause permanent damage or, if extensive, wrongful death. Healing may take weeks, or many months.
Some second degree burns, and virtually all third degree burns, require skin grafting surgery for proper healing. However, even with skin grafts, permanent scarring and disfigurement remain risks, as do infection and contracture (the tightening of skin and joints). Treatment may involve counseling or therapy, physical therapy, plastic surgery, amputations, painkiller medications, hydrotherapy, and other procedures and forms of care.
Recovering Damages for Your Burn Injury Claim in Dallas
In many cases, burn injuries occur because of another person’s careless, forgetful, negligent actions. A person is negligent when he or she fails to exercise due care in order to avoid or minimize the risk of a foreseeable accident. Businesses, such as the manufacturers of defective products, can also be negligent. Negligence must be proven in your Dallas burn injury case in order for an injury victim to recover compensation.
Negligent individuals or companies can be held liable for compensating the victim of a preventable burn if their actions, or failures to act, caused the injury to occur. Every claim must be individually evaluated by an attorney, but some examples of scenarios involving negligence could include a restaurant employee who spills scalding coffee on a customer, or a maintenance worker who fails to adequately repair exposed wires, leading another person to sustain electrical burns.
Compensation, or “damages,” may be recoverable for a variety of financial and non-financial losses, including anticipated losses. For example, it may be possible to receive compensation for:
- Funeral and burial expenses, in cases involving wrongful death.
- Loss of earnings and income.
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
- Loss of household services.
- Reductions to future earning capacity.
- The pain and suffering caused by the injury and subsequent treatments, such as skin grafting.
- Various medical bills, such as surgery, physical therapy, and medical devices like wheelchairs and pressure garments.
Because the circumstances of every injury are unique, it is impossible to assess the potential value or worth of your settlement or claim without first reviewing the details. However, factors which impact the value of a burn injury lawsuit include the location, size, severity, and permanence of the injury, as well as its effects on your earning power and psychological state.
Call Our Experienced Dallas, TX Burn Injury Attorneys Today
The Dallas burn injury lawyers of the Queenan Law Firm are dedicated to helping accident victims in Texas fight to recover compensation. We know you and your loved ones are going through a very difficult time right now, which is why we will take care of all the legal work for you. We strive to make the legal process as simple and easy as possible for our clients, so that you can simply focus on healing from your injuries and getting the rest you need right now.
Being severely burned is a life-altering event, but you don’t have to cope with the aftermath on your own. Turn to the experienced injury attorneys of the Queenan Law Firm for compassionate support and aggressive representation. You deserve justice, and we will fight tenaciously to hold the guilty party accountable.
Call our law offices at (817) 476-1797 to arrange a free legal consultation with a Dallas personal injury lawyer. We will keep your information confidential.