This post is also available in: Español (Spanish)
The Queenan Law Firm
Experienced. Respected. Successful.
Results that matter, because our clients matter.
Dallas Birth Injury Lawyer
Bringing your new baby boy or girl into the world should be one of the happiest days of your life. However, what should be cause for joyous celebration can turn into a tragic nightmare when an OB/GYN, nurse, or other care providers make errors that compromise the health and safety of your infant daughter or son.
If you gave birth at a hospital in Dallas, and you or your baby was injured by your doctor at any point during your pregnancy, you are urged to contact the Queenan Law Firm, P.C. as soon as possible for legal assistance. Our skilled, accomplished, and trusted legal team has more than 20 years of experience helping mothers and fathers pursue justice and compensation for the pain inflicted on their families by careless obstetricians. For a free, completely confidential legal consultation, please do not hesitate to call our law offices at (817) 719-8082.
My OB/GYN Injured My Baby, Can My Family Get Compensated?
Financial compensation is probably one of the last things on your mind while you are processing the recent trauma that you and your child have endured, and that is completely understandable. However, if your infant was seriously injured, he or she is likely going to need extensive medical care, which may need to continue for many months or years.
You should not be held responsible for covering the costs of treatment on your own, especially when you are already in so much emotional pain and distress over the ordeal your family has been through. The compensation obtained through a successful birth injury lawsuit or settlement can provide your family with the financial resources you need to see that your child receives quality care.
It may be possible to recover compensation if the injury occurred because your physician in some way breached his or her duty to you and your baby. There are numerous errors that can result in wrongful death or debilitating infant injuries, examples of which are provided in the next section. If the injury resulted from OB/GYN negligence in Texas, compensation may be available for:
- Funeral Expenses
- Future Expenses
- Loss of Enjoyment of Life
- Medical Expenses
- Mental Anguish
- Pain and Suffering
- Physical Therapy
Examples of Infant Injuries Caused by Medical Errors During Pregnancy or Delivery
Whether it takes place through a Cesarean section (C-section) or vaginal delivery, childbirth can be an extremely dangerous process for both mother and child. As such, there must be careful monitoring and assistance from a skilled team of medical experts within the hospital’s maternity ward. The doctors are there to correct a problem if anything goes wrong; but in some cases, it is the doctors themselves who create hazards and inflict injuries, which can hurt or kill the infant, the mother, or both.
Some examples of medical errors that can cause disabling or deadly birth injuries include:
- Applying too much physical pressure or force while assisting childbirth, such as pulling too hard on the infant’s shoulders, or using a vacuum extraction device improperly.
- Failing to treat a maternal infection, such as rubella, chorioamnionitis, hepatitis B, Group B streptococcus, or a urinary tract infection (UTI).
- Giving the mother dangerous medications during pregnancy or labor, or administering too large of a dose. For example, an overdose of Pitocin, a uterine stimulant used to strengthen contractions, can lead to adverse effects.
- Making errors during a C-section, such as making too deep of an incision, or making the incision at an improper location.
- Making errors when cutting the baby’s umbilical cord, such as clamping the cord prematurely.
- Making unreasonable delays in performing a C-section, without a valid medical purpose for the delay. This can cause the baby to become deprived of oxygen, which is extremely dangerous.
- Performing an unnecessary C-section.
These and other errors can lead to a host of serious, sometimes fatal illnesses, injuries, and long-term disabilities, including:
- Birth Asphyxia
- Bone Fractures
- Cerebral Palsy
- Erb’s Palsy
- Fetal Macrosomia
- Hearing Problems
- Klumpke’s Palsy
- Nerve Damage
- Shoulder Dystocia
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Vision Problems
- Wrongful Death
Dallas Birth Injury Attorneys Representing Mothers and Fathers Against Hospitals
Watching your newborn child struggle with pain and disability, or losing your baby to fatal medical errors, is an experience that no parent should ever have to go through. We understand that birth injuries are a sensitive matter, and assure you that your family will be treated with compassion and given support. We are here to help you get through this difficult time, and we want to provide assistance in any way that we can.
When doctors cause harm through their careless actions, they must be held accountable. The Texas birth injury lawyers of Queenan Law will fight aggressively to recover the maximum compensation for your family – and to see that justice is served. Our attorneys handle birth injury claims against negligent doctors and hospitals throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, including but not limited to:
- Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas
- Medical City Dallas Hospital
- Parkland Hospital
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital (Margot Perot Center for Women and Infants)
- UT Southwestern Medical Center
To speak privately about your case in a free legal consultation, call the Queenan Law Firm, P.C. at (817) 719-8082.